Frequently Asked Questions in San Mateo AYSO
These pages will be updated whenever I get an interesting question that other
may be interested in. So, please send your questions by e-mail to the
include your city and the age of your children in the email).
Click on any question - the answer should appear below it like magic.
This FAQ can be viewed
(or printed) with responses expanded by clicking here.
- What is AYSO anyway?
- What is this PIE I hear about and what does it mean?
- What is "CYSA" - is it part of AYSO?
- OK. How do I register?
- What other soccer expenses can I anticipate this year?
- I cannot afford to pay the registration fees. What can I do?
- Will my children be on the same team?
- Can my child play on the same team as her best friend?
- How do I request a specific coach?
- What days are the practices?
- Jimmy can't make it to practices on the days the coach has chosen. What can I do?
- I am a single mother and cannot drive to practices, and need like my child
to play with her friend. What can I do?
- When will we be notified if my child that
registered late via mail has been accepted on a team?
- I have moved - how do I transfer my son to the new
- Is there a program for children with special needs?
- Are there coed teams?
- What division does my child play in? or What does U6 or U8 mean?
- What is the Jamboree (U5) Division for four year olds?
- Why can't Susan keep her earrings on?
- What sort of hair clip can my child wear?
- How are injuries handled during a match?
- The doctor said that Jason can play with his arm splint. Why can't
- What about eyeglasses and hearing aids?
- What type of shoes are required, and about soccer cleats?
Referees, Coaches, Volunteering:
- How much do the Board Members, Coaches, and Referees get paid?
- What should I do if I'm having problems with the coach?
- Katie doesn't get along with her coach. Can she change teams?
- I have some comments about the refereeing of my child's game.
- What do the referee badges mean?
- What should I do if a referee makes a terrible call?
- I see some real bad referees out there. What can we do?
- I have never played soccer and I don't know anything about soccer. Can I still become a
coach or a referee?
The soccer game:
- What do I do if its raining on game day?
- When does the ball become "in play"
following a goal kick?
- A parent was screaming at the players and
upsetting the flow of the game. What can I do?
- I was watching a professional soccer match and saw them doing things that
we are not allowed to do. Are the rules the same?
- The rules in my son's High School Soccer games seem different. Is